Pricing Info

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Levi Matthew and a note about shooting with kids

It's been almost 3 months since I visited Levi and took his 1 year pictures and today I'm going back to photograph newborn baby brother Seth!

I gotta be honest and put this out there. Most kids are not cooperative when it comes to picture taking. There are SO FEW kids I can think of that have actually cooperated with me and done what I "had in mind." Buuuuut you probably think (that is if you haven't done a kid shoot with me yet) that it's all butterflies and roses when photographing kids. Au contraire my friend, au contraire.

More realistically, I tell a kid to do something, they do something else. But it's cute, so I take pictures. There is a rare exception of children who will "pose" the way you want. What works for me is working with them. I try to make friends and if they like me, they'll flash me smiles and run around showing me their favorite things. And the whole time I keep my camera close.

It works well, as you can see from my work! The reason I went on that tangent was to let you know that Levi's session was no exception. We started off in the backyard and he was none too excited to see me there. He was busy doing far more important things and couldn't be bothered with me and my camera! But we gave him a hose and he played and got wet, and LOVED IT!

After the hosing incident there was a total meltdown, so Mama took him in and changed him up while he calmed down... and we then spent the rest of the session between his room (see below, how cute is the wall decal!?) mom and dad's room, and the downstairs.

Brazofsky_20

Post-meltdown chillin in his crib ;)

Brazofsky_11

and beforehand, splashin' in the water :)

Brazofsky_5

Brazofsky_34

Readin stories in mom and dad's room being cute

Brazofsky_35

And my absolute favorite favorite shot was playing peek-a-boo in the upstairs hallway.

I would say about 90% of my kid shoots go about like this {ha!} but one of the things that made this shoot so successful was Mom's laid back attitude about the whole thing. She worked with me and together we worked it out I would say :D

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda Great Job! I'm glad you have such a relaxed approach to Shooting with Little ones ;)
    I'm sure my girls will be no exeption. lol

    ReplyDelete